Sunday, June 1, 2008

Grillin Season


Last summer was not a great summer for the hubs and I. He took a spill and ended up in a leg brace for most of the summer/fall. Not only did my social life suffer because of this but our grill was neglected as well. When I wasn't eating out of the hospital vending machines, we were making casseroles and the basics to get by. This year, however, I made a promise to the grill that I would get her back up to speed and allow her to burn my food just like the old days. :) There have been some set backs-one of the burners quit working and the ignitor doesn't work anymore but we're not giving up on her! I think most of our meals so far this summer have been on the grill and this one is no exception. I love this meal because its super easy and I normally have most of this stuff on hand. I usually cook the steak on my grill pan but of course its so much better outside. If you haven't had this-you must make it as soon as possible..

Steak Sandwich (Knife and fork required)
Rachel Ray-plus my modifications

Bag of baby greens
Balsamic vinegar
Large sirloin steak (I used rib eye)
Blue cheese crumbles (optional)
Sheet of puff pastry-thawed

Preheat oven to 400. Cut puff pastry into four squares and bake for 12-15 minutes. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium high heat. Grill steak to desired doneness (i usually do 5 minutes per side) and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Take one square for puff pastry, top with greens, balsamic vinegar, then some slices of steak. Add blue cheese or whatever topping you like and then finish with another puff pastry square!

1 comment:

Julie said...

This is one of my faves! Glad to see it on the blog!